Saturday 14 March 2020

Yoga


As a child, I was a gymnast, and as a result I still have a degree of flexibility in some areas, but not in all. The yoga mat seemed to me the perfect place to maintain that flexibility, so I began to practice yoga in my early twenties. I found it surprisingly relaxing where gymnastics has always been quite stressful on my joints. Having said this, yoga, for me, was more about the asanas and how sophisticated and strong my poses were. The relaxation was a great side effect, but it wasn’t the main reason for my practice. After nearly 20 years of practising yoga, I walked into a class. The teacher seemed to glow with beauty and kindness. Her soothing presence and command of the class truly reflected her skills and absolute yogic presence. I was transformed. The class, whilst challenging, was spiritual in a way I’d never experienced before. Poses I’d seen as being out of my remit seemed possible, after 20 years. In that one class, I went from seeing yoga as a flow of asanas with a side of spirituality to a sense of Self and oneness. I knew I should pursue this wonderful gift and try it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment